His Highness Sultan Sayyid Sir Khalifa II bin Harub, the ninth Sultan of Zanzibar (1879-1960) visited Makerere University on 30th April 1954 as part of his visit to Uganda.
He was keen to visit Makerere University which earlier in 1940 had expanded its admission to include eight Kenyans, thirty-one Tanganyikans and nine Zanzibaris. He was also given a tour of the University Mosque by then Principal of Makerere College (1950-1963) Sir Bernard de Bunsen. Construction of the Mosque was partly funded by the Government of Zanzibar and officially opened by H.H. Crown Prince Abdulla of Zanzibar in May 1948.
Prior to this he had visited the Investure, Government house, where he had met with members of the Colonial administration and other dignitaries.
Copyrighted Images courtesy of Makerere University Library
Copyright © 2013 - Makerere University | Makerere Home | Mak News | Mak Events