During the era of Uganda under he Colonial Administration, Makerere University played host to a number of centres of National importance. One of those centres was the Uganda National Museum. Founded in 1908, the Museum was first housed at Fort Lugard in Old Kampala.The museum later moved into an old classroom block at Makerere University, where it was officially opened by Sir Charles Cecil Farquharson Dundas, Governor of Uganda (7 Jul 1940 - 1 Jan 1945) in July 1942. Mrs. Margaret Trowell; the wife of Dr. Hugh Trowell a Colonial Officer, offered her services as part-time honorary curator. As curator, Margaret Trowell helped to expand the museum collection to incorporate objects from all parts of the country.Following the completion of its new home at Kitante in 1951, the Uganda Museum moved and was later officially launched by the Governor of Uganda (17 Jan 1952 - 26 Feb 1957) Sir Andrew Benjamin Cohen on 30th June 1954.
Copyrighted Images courtesy of Makerere University Library
Makerere Art School through the ages
Copyright © 2013 - Makerere University | Makerere Home | Mak News | Mak Events